Activity 1: Listening. Decide whether the following sentences are TRUE or FALSE. Justify your FALSE statements.
1.- Singlish means Singapore English
2.- Singlish is used in all kinds of situations, formal and informal
3.- Singaporeans feel offended when foreigners try to learn and speak Singlish
4.- Mandarin didn’t influence Singlish
5.- The word “meh” is used in questions asked in Singlish.
6.- Singlish is a rich, vast language.
7.- Singlish may sound like Indian English for some people
8.- The word “leh” refers to a person who acts in a shy way.
9.- Some people really can’t help speaking Singlish
10.- Everybody agrees that educated people speak Singlish
Activity 2: Practicing “Singlish”
From Singlish to English
- Do you really believe him?
- Please switch (turn) off the TV.
- Would you like to watch a movie tomorrow?
- He is definitely not coming tomorrow/I am certain he is not coming tomorrow.
- I have not done my homework.
- They don’t serve delicious food here/The food here is not good.
- Why didn’t you call me yesterday?.