The key elements of a News Report are:
1. Headline: -Catches your attention-Sums up the story
2. Byline: -Writer’s name-Writer’s Specialty, e.g. sports, food, crime, current events
3. Placeline: -Where the story begins
4. Lead: -The important first sentence or paragraph that summarizes the story and answers as many as possible of the 5 W’s (Who? What? Where? When? and Why?) and H (How?).
5. Body: – Supplies detail-Most important details come first-Simple true statements
6. Quotation: What someone actually said-Adds accuracy-Adds “at the scene” feeling.
2.- Now create your own 250-400 News Report, but before complete a new version of the same template above. For that, choose only one of the following headlines:
- Leisure: “England can be a dangerous country for irresponsible tourists”.
- Health: “Alcohol drinking in teenagers is becoming a more and more serious topic in England”.
- Cultural diversity: “Discrimination in Cape town nowadays is similar to the times of Apartheid”