*Twickenham is a town in south west London on the River Thames in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, located 10 miles (16 km) southwest of the centre of London.
1) To have/make a stab at something: to attempt to do something although you are not likely to be very successful
2) Publicans: the manager of a pub
3) Put up with sth/sb: to accept or continue to accept an unpleasant situation orexperience, or someone who behaves unpleasantly
4) Portaloo: a portable building containing a toilet.
5) Embarrass: to cause someone to feel nervous, worried, or uncomfortable
6) Acute: very serious or severe
7) “It seems Orwellian”: ideas about personal freedom and state authority developed by the British writer George Orwell
8) Book: (verb) to arrange to have a seat, room, performer, etc. at a particular time in the future